The unLibrarian

I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them. ~Jane Austen

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Yes, that is a tattoo, and yes, it is on my person.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

What Did I Do?

I've stated time and time again in numerous places that I am NOT a web design genius. Nope, not me. I fake it pretty well sometimes, but then there are times like now...

I don't know why I'm posting this, because if I didn't you would never have known.

Screwed up my blog, that I did. I've been working on the new blog at a domain of my very own. I opened up Dreamweaver, which had remained stagnant for the past year or so, and got to work. After a few hours, I pretty much remembered how to use the software and thought I was well on my way. Then two things happened:

1. I realized that I don't know ANYTHING
2. I somehow managed to overwrite the admin files on the new blog

Uh oh.

My first problem was trying to get my header image and text to remain the proper size (spanning the entire width of the page) regardless on resolution, browser, etc. I tried everything I could think of, but just couldn't get the stupid thing to work. So, I decided to go for 90%. I'll have it span 90% by putting an image in a table in a layer in a table on the page and centering it. Problem solved, right?

Wrong.

Being the moderately OCD person I believe myself to be, the fact that the header image is about 4 mm off and the title thingy below it is about 3 mm from the center of the page is driving me INSANE. I must have deleted the entire page and started anew a dozen times, always resulting in the same problem. What's the URL, you ask? I'm not going to tell you!!! I will not put this imperfection on display for the world to see!

Next problem: The image I am using in the header magically grows to FOUR TIMES it's size somewhere between Dreamweaver and the internet...hmmm....I've resized the image a million times, and when I put the page online, 1/4 of the image is showing, taking up the entire space reserved for the whole image. I will not use the adjectives that come to mind. This is after all a quasi-professional thing, right?

Other topics of frustration include:

  • when alignment fails
  • when a color is lost
  • when a border isn't a border isn't a border
  • when things appear in bright blue and refuse to be changed
  • when I want to throw my computer out the window

Then, I decide to work on the actual blog. I mean, since I finally got The Library Rebooted: Unwrapped done, I am now decently able to work on my own blog design, right?

Ha!

I go to log in to my account on the new blog. It should take me to the admin page. Instead, it takes me to what appears to be the index page of my website (not even the blog), minus the images. I don't even want to know. My best guess is that I overwrote something I shouldn't have. Fortunately, I still had the files on my hard drive, so I replaced the admin folders, being confident it would fix the entire problem. Wrong again.

So, with my head hung low, and my tail between my legs, I called Sonya, the web mistress extraordinaire, who is being kind enough to stop by tomorrow and turn me into the web designer that I long to be, not to mention to fix up what I've already destroyed.

*sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home