The unLibrarian

I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them. ~Jane Austen

My Photo
Name:
Location: Michigan, United States

Yes, that is a tattoo, and yes, it is on my person.

Monday, April 10, 2006

The Beginning.

A friend of mind wanted to be a librarian when she grew up, and now she is. That's amazing to me. The fact that she is now what she wanted to be is more amazing than the fact that she wanted to be a librarian.

Me, I wanted to be a psychiatrist, then a social worker, then a musician, then a music teacher, then an enthnomusicologist. How did I end up a librarian? It was as easy as the fact that I don't like humidity.

I was a senior in high school, getting ready for the next great adventure: college. I knew that I had to find a job...I was broke. One day, a group of friends who were all going to MSU got together and were talking about our excitement about moving out of the house, being on our own for the first time.

Stephanie, the goody-goody (why are all goody-goody's named Stephanie?) said that her sister (who was a senior in college and MSU and scored a 34 or some insane score on her ACT's and therefore knew everything) said that the best place to work on campus was the Library because it was air conditioned. I couldn't imagine any place as prestigious as a university NOT having air conditioning! I was about to meet a rude awakening.

I remember applying to a job at the library the summer before my freshman year of college. I had my interview during welcome week, and started work the first Monday of my college career in something called ILL. I was 18, wet behind the ears, had visited my hometown library less than a dozen times throughout my childhood, and knew that this library job was just another thing to make money for a while...much better than McDonalds because I didn't have to take a shower when I got home from work.

It was just a job, but I stayed...I got threatened with firing and offered a promotion in the same month...I chose the promotion. Then I switched departments, got promoted again, and then came to the horrible conclusion that I had maxed out on student loans and had no degree. There was only thing I could do...I was a student employee...staff employees got to take classes for free. So, after much work, I managed to get a staff job at the MSU library. It was a horrible half-time midnight securtity job, which caused me to lose 20 lbs and nearly destroy myself. After a year, I managed to be offered a full-time daytime position. Six months later, I qualified for free credits, 14/year! I was only going to keep the job until I graduated, and then I was going to be an orchestra teacher!!!

With one semester of classes left, I came to the horrible realization that I did NOT want to be an orchestra teacher. I was in deep shit. So, I changed my major, picked up a minor, and decided just to get a degree so that I could go to grad school. I had been in college for almost eight years. I worked in a library, MSU would pay for the degree, so why not? I applied to the WSU LIS program, and got in. I was well on my way.

I knew what I wanted to be...I wanted to be a bibliographer...then I wanted to be a conservateur, then a serial cataloger. I still wanted to be a conservateur, but that took more school.

I managed to get the MLIS in two years, and started applying for serial cataloging positions throughout the state. I was well on my way. One day, a former coworker who now worked at MLC told me that they had a position open. I read the description and thought, "I could do this." It wasn't a serial cataloging position, or a conservateur position, or even a bibliographer position. In all honesty, I didn't have a clue what kind of position it was. So, I said, "What the heck," and applied.

I got the job. Here I am, 29 years old, working at MLC. Do I regret it? Not in the least. I enjoy my current position and at times find it very rewarding. I get to do a lot of the things I love to do, and am constantly learning new things. Sometimes, I just wish they had a few books...

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

So is it bad that I didn't know that first paragraph was about me until you told me at MLC yesterday? I just assumed you had lots of librarian to their very core friends.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home